Campbell, Edward M.

Submitted by mercercounty on Fri, 07/23/2010 - 09:57

EDWARD M. CAMPBELL, farmer, post-office Leech’s Corners, was born November 9, 1827. The Campbell family are among the pioneer families of Mercer County. Edward Campbell, the grandfather of our subject, and his wife, Margaret (Satterfield) Campbell, settled on a farm in Hickory Township in 1800. Margaret was a sister of the Rev. James Satterfield, of Hickory Township. They had seven children: William, James, Anna, Margaret, Jane, Mary and Eliza, all of whom are deceased. James, the father of our subject, was born in Washington County, Penn., in 1800, and was reared in Hickory Township, this county. He was married to Nancy Thompson, of Hickory Township, and located on a farm in Hickory, where he remained about ten years, when he purchased a farm near Wheatland, on which the Sharon fair grounds are now located. There were five children born to them: Edward M., Rev. David T., Margaret J., wife of J. M. Pettit; William B. and Adeline, deceased. He was a Democrat, and was also a member of the F. & A. M, and of the Mercer County Agricultural Society. They were identified with the Presbyterian Church. James died March 7, 1885, in his eighty-fifth year, and his wife died June 22, 1869, aged sixty-one years. Edward M. was married in 1851 to Martha Conover, of Brookfield, Ohio. They located on a farm in Pymatuning Township, this county, and remained there until 1854, when he purchased a stock of goods from J. A. Waugh at Greenville, where they resided until 1859. They then went to the Indian Territory, Choctaw Nation, and engaged in the dry goods trade, also in stock shipping. After remaining there one year they returned to Greenville, leaving his brother William in charge of the goods and stock. At the breaking out of the war the Confederates took the stock, paying $17,000 in Confederate scrip, none of which was of any value. Edward M. then purchased a farm in Sugar Grove Township, this county, of John Reznor, where he still resides. Two children have been born to Edward M. and Martha Campbell: James M. and Albert, deceased. Politically he is a Democrat, and has filled the office of justice of the peace for fifteen years, and school director for twenty-three years. He was president of the Shenango Agricultural Society one term and treasurer three years. He was master of the P. of H. of Mercer County for several years, and is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Greenville.

History of Mercer County, 1888, page 1137

 
All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Mercer County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site. You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.
Contact me.
GenDisasters | FamilyOldPhotos.com | Old-Yearbooks.com | OldBios.com | AncestralHeroes | OldDeathRecords.org | Old Photos & Genealogy Blog
Copyright © 1999-2013 Teri A. Brown. All rights reserved. . Drupal theme by Kiwi Themes.