DAVID AGNEW, deceased, was born at Frankstown, Huntingdon Co., Penn., September 25, 1805, and died at Sharpsville, Penn., August 24, 1882. Ere reaching manhood he obtained a clerkship with Dr. P. Shoenberger, at Maria Forges, in Bedford County. About the year 1823 he removed to the Doctor’s iron works, at Pittsburgh, where he remained until the spring of 1832, when he removed to Wheeling, Va., having entered into partnership with Dr. Shoenberger for the erection of a rolling mill at that place, the first in that city, and believed to be the first of the kind erected in that State. He was about the same time connected with a forge and furnace at Hanging Rock, Ohio. While a resident of Wheeling he was appointed by the governor a member of the “County Court;” was instrumental with others in establishing the Merchants’ & Mechanics’ Bank, of Wheeling; was a director, and for a time acted as president of that institution, and subsequently was appointed by President Tyler postmaster, which office he held for more than four years. During his term of postmaster Polk was elected President, and when the new administration came into power an attempt was made by the politicians to have Mr. Agnew removed; but the Postmaster-General, having examined into the affairs of the office, and finding that they were conducted in such an able and business-like manner, protested so strongly against any change being made that Mr. Agnew, though of different political faith, was permitted to retain the office. Wheeling, at that time, was one of the most important points along the line of the National Road, being a distributing office. Mr. Agnew resigned about a year later. In the year 1846 he removed to Sharon, this county, and, in connection with Dr. Shoenberger and others, built the Sharon Furnace. Afterward, together with Gen. Curtis, Mr. Boyce and other citizens of Sharon, the Sharon Iron Company was formed, and the rolling mill at Sharon, known as the Sharon Iron Works, was erected, of which Mr. Agnew was a director and manager.