Andrews, Hugh B.
Hugh B. Andrews has found a profitable field for his labors in Oil city, and as a well qualified builder and conscientious contractor has, while building up a thriving business, furthered the material improvements of the city to a notable degree. With many prosperous interests centered there, the demand for high-class services has afforded him desired opportunities for undertaking and executing substantial and attractive work, and there are many specimens of his handicraft in the city to testify to his ability and honorable fulfillment of contracts. As H. B. Andrews, general contractor, he has attained high standing among the men in his own line and those who have had occasion to avail themselves of his talents.
Mr. Andrews, in both paternal and maternal lines, belongs to old settled families of this part of Pennsylvania, his grandfather, Hugh B. Andrews, having lived and died in Mercer County, where he was engaged in farming. He was hardly middle-aged at the time of his death, and he is buried with his wife in the old U.P. Cemetery at Greenville, Mercer County. Her maiden name was Potter, and they had four sons, of whom Hugh and Thomas went West when young men; John P. is mentioned below; Joseph died near Sharon, Mercer County.
John P. Andrews, father of Hugh B. Andrews, was born in March, 1828, near Adamsville, Crawford Co., Pa., and spent most of his life in Mercer County. He learned the blacksmith’s trade and during his earlier life was also engaged for many years in boating on the Pittsburgh & Erie canal, living at Greenville, where he was engaged at his trade until ten years before his death, July 2, 1907. When he retired he removed into the country one and one-half miles east of Greenville, in West Salem Township, owning a small patch of ground on which he did gardening. He died there, and is buried with his wife in the new cemetery at Greenville. They attended the U.P. Church, and Mr. Andrews held to the principles of the Democratic party in politics. His wife was Elizabeth Sherbondy, who died April 21, 1886, aged forty-five years, five months, five days, the mother of eight children, namely: William of Greenville, Pa.; Hugh B.; David, deceased; Frank and John, both residents of Greenville; and Malissa, Rebecca and Laura, all three deceased.
David Sherbondy, Mr. Andrews’ great-great grandfather on the maternal side, was a pioneer of Mercer County, where he settled before the Indians had left the country. He received a grant of between seven hundred and eight hundred acres of land from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, all in the woods, and succeeded in clearing a large portion of it. Upon his death it was divided between two daughters and four sons, Mrs. Logan, Mrs. Mason, George, David, Philip and John. George lived on that part directly adjoining his brother David’s; Philip sold his interest and moved to Crawford County, where he bought another farm and resided until his death; John’s death was the result of an accident.