Alexander, Martin L.
MARTIN L. ALEXANDER, farmer, was born July 15, 1837, to John C., born in 1804 in Fairview Township. The latter was a son of Joseph and Sarah (Barndollar) Alexander. John Alexander married Martha Rose, and with her lived in Fairview Township until his death in 1876. His widow went West in 1878, and lives with her daughter. Mrs. James A. Shout, of Salina, Kas. Their children were: Sarah, married R. C. Clark; Martha, died small; M. L., Maria J., married James A. Shout; John I., Martha, married Joseph Nelson; Rachel E., married Barton Mishler; James E., died April 16, 1875. John, the twin brother of Martha, enlisted in Company G, Tenth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and died in Salisbury Prison March, 1865. The parents were members of the old Cool Spring Presbyterian Church. Martin L. Alexander was educated in the country schools, and was trained to rural pursuits. He was engaged for thirteen years manufacturing wagon lumber in Sandy Creek Township. He was married September 29, 1863, to Margaret C. Vaughn, daughter of Jacob and Eliza J. (McFatrich) Vaughn. Jacob Vaughn was born March 13, 1813, to John and Rebecca (French) Vaughn, the parents of Jacob, Sarah, Phoebe, William, Susan, Nancy, John and Eli. John Vaughn was a soldier in the War of 1812. Jacob Vaughn’s wife died May 21, 1888, and had blessed her husband with Margaret C., George S., Hugh M., Emma married Samuel Steele, and Zidania, married Minor Vernon; William B., and John, married Emma Eckels, who is dead, and he has two children, George and James B. Jacob Vaughn learned the carpenter’s trade, which he followed for fifteen years. He made wagons and buggies for years, and then engaged in the manufacture of wagon material. He invented a machine for cutting out felloes. In 1876 he retired from his trade, and now resides with the subject of this sketch. M. L. Alexander came to his present farm of 100 acres in 1884. His children are: Clara D., married Ed R. Eckels; John H., a teacher; Marvin M., Martha E. He and his family are members of the Presbyterian Church of Fredonia. He is a Republican, and was elected poor director on November 6, 1888.
History of Mercer County, 1888, pages 973-974