Bennett, E. F.
E. F. BENNETT, tinner, was born in New Castle, Penn., October 13, 1839, and is a son of Silas and Catharine (Nicholas) Bennett, the former a native of Connecticut, born in 1816, and the latter of Eastern Pennsylvania. The parents of Silas died when he was six years old, and he then went to live with his uncle, who removed to New Lisbon, Ohio, where he grew to manhood and learned the tin and coppersmith trade. In 1837 he was there married to Catharine Nicholas, who had come from Eastern Pennsylvania to Ohio with her brother-in-law. Eleven children were born of this union, ten of whom are living. In 1837 Silas Bennett located in business at New Castle, Penn., where all of his children were born. His wife died in that city in February, 1882, and he survived her until July 30, 1887. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics he was a Republican. Our subject grew up in New Castle, and learned the tinner’s trade with his father. At age of seventeen he went to Warren, Ohio, where he worked at his trade till September 2, 1861, when he came to Sharon, Penn., and enlisted in Company B, Seventy-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers. He served in the field until the charge on Port Wagner, S.C., where he was severely wounded and taken prisoner. The Confederate surgeons amputated his left leg, and he was soon afterward exchanged and sent to New York, where it was found necessary to perform another amputation. He remained in hospital quarters till his discharge July 27, 1864, when he returned to New Castle and thence to Warren, Ohio In May, 1866, Mr. Bennett came to Greenville, where he has since remained. He was married July 25, 1866, to Miss Ellen J. Dunlap, of Warren, Ohio, who is the mother of one son, William H. In June, 1878, Mr. Bennett opened a tinner’s and job shop in Greenville, and has since carried on a successful business. The family belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Republican in politics, has served in the council three years, and is a member of the G. A. R. and the Masonic fraternity.
History of Mercer County, 1888, page 776